Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Music and therapy

Sometimes I think of what I do as a healing practice rather than a creative one. Especially teaching lessons. Lessons are by their very nature therapeutic. When you play a musical instrument, you engage both sides of the brain, release endorphins, stimulate deep learning centers, awaken sleeping senses . . . And you can learn so much about who you and how you learn. Helping people navigate those processes can be beautiful or terrifying, brilliant or frustrating, rewarding or exhausting. Depends on the student.

I almost never get frustrated with students unless they don't want to learn. I have every kind of student from whizz-bangs to those who struggle mightily. And it seems that the ones who really struggle, who are really fighting hard to do this, are the ones who are the most engaged--because they are fighting for what they truly love and desire to do. I would rather teach 100 students with Down Syndrome, or senior citizens who have never even picked up an instrument, or autistic students who don't talk to me and never look me in the eye but play with such feeling, than five students who have the capacity to learn it easily but don't care whether they learn it or not.

Desire is the key. Desire to do it, willingness to try, and commitment to practice. My challenged students will probably never play Carnegie Hall, but for me, every baby step they take feels exhilarating. I don't care how long it takes to learn one thing--I don't care if they never memorize a single song--because the most important thing to them is the joy they feel making music, and that's what music is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment