Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Thoughts on this new adventure with the CPAP machine

I snore like a pirate. Used to just snore like a sailor, then it got worse - apnea. Started feeling really, really shitty, gained some weight for NO reason, knew disaster was about to strike, so... Bit the bullet, had a sleep study, got the CPAP machine - which stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure. And yes, it is a huge change, and wow, it makes a huge difference.

For the record, I did not like the mask. I have asthma, and the mask is too much like breathing your own breath. I hate breathing stale, warm air. So they gave me this little mask with little pillow-like things that go into your nostrils. As long as you keep your mouth closed, it works really well, and apparently I do.

I slept with it on last night. I must have slept some, because the night passed in clunky intervals... but I was awake a lot, because this thing is just so weird. But, I think I was awake less than usual, and didn't wake myself up snoring, and didn't have to fight for my breath, and probably had a stable oxygen saturation level and uninterrupted REM sleep... And I did wake up when the alarm went off feeling strangely refreshed... I actually got up with Michael, which surprised the heck out of us both.

Not that everything is 100% roses at this point... No, I'm at the very beginning stages of recovery from this serious condition, and I have got to try to remember to cut myself some slack. Like this afternoon, for example, I decided to take a nap instead of trying to power through the sleepiness. So I think I will try keeping this little online journal to recount the experiences I have as I go forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment