Friday, November 23, 2012

In praise of practicality

I am a practical person. This is news to me, so I'm kind of excited about it. I am level-headed, I see the big picture, I can look at things dispassionately and see where my best interest is, even if it is far far away from the shiny things. This is one of those awesome but utterly dull qualities that gives me an edge. I know what fucking matters and what does not. I know how to wait. I know how to bargain. I know how to negotiate. I know how to use language to my advantage. Oh, I do. Don't fuck with me. I am a wordsmith. I can hurt you.

But I digress - and I KNOW I digress, because I am practical. Practicality means being painfully honest. Practicality means "you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need."

Guess what. I'm buying a new violin. Because I'm practical. There is a huge difference between the $1800 violins and the $5000 violins, and I have progressed beyond what the $1800 violin is capable of. Since the violin is responsible for about 85% of my income at this point, I must upgrade to a violin that will deliver the performance that I am capable of. Because I am clever, I asked the Universe to make it possible. The Universe said, "Of course! Yes! It is now possible!" Not free, not painless, but possible. Thank you Universe! I can make possible work. Because I am PRACTICAL.

Somewhere in The OtherWorld, my mom and dad are having a great laugh, because their ridiculously bohemian youngest daughter is one of the most practical people on the planet. Hi, Mom and Dad! See you in a few decades. Don't wait up. I'm having a really good life. Because I'm PRACTICAL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment