Thursday, November 15, 2012

One last night

Tonight is the last night in my little apartment... My refuge and haven for this year of healing and recharging. It's been a wonderful place, peaceful, quiet and safe, in the best possible location for this stinking town... And I will miss it.

But... I am so excited about moving to the Iowa City area, moving to The City of Awesome, being close to so many more progressive, creative ideas and opportunities. And moving in with Michael, who loves being part of my crazy musical life (and vice versa), has so far been the easiest, smoothest, and funnest move of my entire life. The closer we get to the move-in date the happier we are together. And isn't that exactly how it's supposed to work?

So today I am grateful for this little space that has nourished and protected me for the past year-and-a-bit, this space where I have discovered just how capable and resourceful and smart I actually am. I have made my own decisions, and remarkably few mistakes. Through the end of my marriage, my mother's passing, a broken ankle, the loss of my job, my step-dad's passing, yadda yadda yadda, this little place has sustained me, and allowed me to grow into quite comfortable confidence. I've been blessed more than I can explain.

Thanks to all the helpful spirits that have been with me this year, helped me get there, helped me get through - thanks to my sister Annie, to my faux-daughter Rachel, to Michael, to DJ and Tommy and Kodiak Flats and Bart and Java Creek and The General Store and all the music fans who have supported us... And to Gary and Robin, for being fantastic, responsive and understanding landlords.

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to being in another neck of the woods with you! X's and O's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gayla - congratulations on having the courage to make this journey alone. We all need time to heal from an old life before we can begin a new one. Best wishes as you enter this new chapter in your life. D'Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gayla, congratulations on having the courage to make this journey alone. We cannot begin a new life without time to heal from the old life. Best pf wishes to you as you begin this great new chapter.

    ReplyDelete